Latest topics
» Disturbing Silence [Ambrose + Shae]
by Ambrose Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 am

» Plant Music [Risko and Hunter]
by Risiko Bann Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm

» Trying to fly [open]
by Cynric Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

» New Room means new Roommate (Shae and Zin)
by Shae-Lantern Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

» Happy as a flower. (Corey and Alicia)
by Corey Passionbunny Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am

» Little Song [Denskith + Richard]
by Denskith Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

» A stroll through the mountains... (Audi and Gen)
by Genivir Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 am

» Books and Boredom (Shae and Sheloe)
by Shae-Lantern Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am

» A Short Day (open)
by Risiko Bann Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:34 am

» Humble Hoodoo and Adamant Alchemist
by Natan Isaac Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:07 am

Top posting users this week

Weeding the Herb Garden

Go down

Weeding the Herb Garden

Post  Aethera on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Aethera finally made her way into the herb garden, which she'd been planning to do ever since she arrived, but hadn't seemed to get the chance. What she saw when she stepped into the small enclosure from the courtyard made her sigh. The garden needed tending, though it wasn't in as bad a shape as she'd assumed after being told there was only a stand-in doctor. She wouldn't even know what was here until she cleared away the weeds that were choking some of the herbs.

She looked down at her simple gray dress. It wasn't the nicer of the two she'd found, so it wouldn't kill her if she got it dirty. Most dirt and grass stains came out in the wash, though she knew from experience her gardening stains often didn't. Perhaps she needed to find something more... gardening-friendly. But that could wait. She had time now to weed this garden--or at least start--and she needed to make the most of it if she were ever going to finish the task of replenishing her herbal medicine collection.

She hiked up her skirt to her knees, plunking herself down at one end of the garden so her bare knees would bear the brunt of the dirt. She pulled the excess skirts to one side, tucking the hem of the dress into the belt at her waist. If anyone saw her, hopefully they wouldn't realize she was barely decent. They'd only notice if they came close enough to help, and only if she did some crazy maneuver so her leg showed through. Finished fretting about her clothes, she set to weeding the garden.
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Height : lost... lost in space... (or the Dirt Road, either one)

http://pisatielnitsa.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Weeding the Herb Garden

Post  Valentin on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:58 pm

The day was particularly nice considering the bone-biting chill the wind usually carried about the island, no matter how bright the sun was shining. Valentin had come to the conclusion that it was simply Scotland. There was always a chill. A nice chill, sometimes, but it was never a bad idea to keep a sweater. Today, he had snagged a black cardigan from his room before heading out. As he exited the castle heading for the gardens, he tugged the sleeve ends down over his thumbs, and noticed that he was fairly sure the garment wasn't his. It didn't seem familiar at any rate, but it kept the breeze off his skin.

The faun was whistling some sporadic made-up tune as he turned the corner from the courtyard, stepping into the nearest section of herbs. He totally wasn't paying attention and nearly tripped over the girl crouching before the plants.

"Woah! Oh!" He back-reeled agilely, and stared wide-eyed at the other student. "I'm sorry! I was not watching where I was going.." He hadn't been expecting to find anyone here.

A breeze picked up and tried to toss his hair around, but the long braid it was gathered back into proved too heavy, and merely swayed back and forth. Valentin's ears batted forwards suddenly, realizing what the girl must be here doing.

"Oh.. ah, yeah. You probably shouldn't do that." He glanced off to the side as if there would be someone waiting to scold them, which there wasn't. He grinned apologetically and crossed his arms shyly over his chest. "That's the ah.. raskovnik." The word was slow and awkward on his tongue, since he had never heard of it before he came here. "It's supposed to be eating the jasmine. I know it looks exactly like clover--I tried to pick it when I first got here too--but you might get scolded. Someone's trying to let it grow, but it'll kill the other herbs." He raised an eyebrow as if it was silly, but there it is, and shrugged, before adding under his breath, "I still think it's just clover, though.. The uhm.." The faun stepped around the girl towards the hedge at the end of the garden, and pushed open a hip-height vine-ridden gate. "The regular herbs are this way, if that's what you're looking for."

Smiling awkwardly, Valentin turned and headed into that area himself, which was much better kept than the small garden area. This area of the herb garden was much larger and boasted a quaint walkway a couple steps up from the earth which led back inside to the kitchens directly. There was small dirt paths winding in some unknown pattern (unknown to Valentin at least) around patches of herbs that grew well near each other. There were no vegetables here, those were elsewhere. Valentin assumed it was Rosie, for the most part, who maintained the garden, but that was merely a guess. She would be the one who used it most often, being the chef. There were a couple weeds pushing persistently through the dirt, but they were fresh.

But he wasn't here to tend the garden, that was for sure, so he ignored the weeds (he probably didn't even realize that they were weeds). But he was glancing around at all of the plants, looking for something.. though he wasn't sure what would work best. He frowned thoughtfully, wishing he'd done more research before field work. He didn't know anything about these plants with their fancy names painted on their little porcelain signs. He glanced sidelong to where he'd left the girl, hoping he didn't look as helpless in the garden as he felt.

(( I hope Rosie doesn't mind me assuming she tends the herbs. xD If she doesn't, Val just thinks she does, and someone else really does it o.<; lol~ ))
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Height : 175
Weight : 54

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=aalc+valent

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:53 pm

"Oh my... I'm sorry!" Aethera cried, reaching a hand out towards the, er... what was he? She had never seen a faun before. The breeze promptly tossed her unbound curls in every direction, and she had to over her head with her hands to keep it from her face long enough to speak. "I didn't mean to hide back here, there just needs to be some tending done." She frowned at the suggestion that this... raskovnik... was supposed to be there. "Who told you this... raskovnik... is supposed to be here? I have trouble believing it... the jasmine looks great to me, I was about to harvest some."

She sat back on her heels when she was directed elsewhere, she hadn't really looked further than what she'd found immediately in front of her. But this... whatever he was... seemed to have something in mind, though he looked a little bit lost, in her opinion. She bent to clean the area she was in, then move on, watching him out of the corner of her eye. She also snagged some of this 'raskovnik' to see if she could determine that it really was something different than clover. Aethera knew she'd heard stories about human and deer hybrids, but she couldn't come up with the name for the species, if in fact there were only one such.

Sick of the wind whipping her hair around, she stuffed it all down the back of her dress. Not exactly a high-fashion moment, but it served to keep the worst of it out of her face. She shivered and collected the small but growing pile of herbs she had set aside so far. The jasmine the faun had pointed out--that was it, faun!--was in okay shape, but she was hoping for a great deal more than what she saw. She didn't dare harvest more than a third of any plant at once, and even that was only in extreme circumstances.

Rising with the herbs in one hand, she looked over at the faun again. "Are you looking for something in particular?" she called over, realizing that he must have some purpose other than hers if he hadn't looked down at the ground the moment he stepped in.
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Glancing at her again, the faun smirked sheepishly. "Hey I don't mind if you want to hide back here. One of the prof's has been nursing that stuff is all. I nearly lost my tail when I tried to remove it." He shrugged again nonchalantly. "Ask Od about it if you're curious."

Watching inquisitively, he noticed her taking samples and it made him nervous. Hadn't she heard him? Maybe she didn't realize that that particular jasmine was food for the raskovnik and that there was more by the regularly tended herbs, but he didn't really feel like trying to explain it further. She seemed to know her way around the herbs a lot more than he did at any rate. Maybe she wouldn't get in as much trouble as he had.

He shook his head mildly and frowned, turning his attention back to the herbs at his feet, glancing around with his fingertips tapping at his chin, the other hand draped over his abdomen casually. One of his ears flipped up in her direction, indicating that he had heard her address him. He spun his head to glance over, looking suddenly bashful because he really had no idea where to begin. He didn't answer right away, debating on whether or not he wanted to ask for help. He wasn't very good at asking for help, especially from people he didn't know. But maybe it was worth a try..

"Ehm, well.." He shrugged again and gently nudged at a leaf with the toe of one hoof so that he could read the porcelain sign. Thyme is what it read and he looked disappointed. Nah, that one didn't look right either. His dark eyes flitted again to the girl and although he looked uncertain, he turned a bit to face her.

"I need something that could grow in the desert." His tone was serious, like this was a very important mission. "Like a cactus, but I can't find any cactuses.. cacti? I dunno. None of these look like something that would be in a desert.." He sounded disgruntled.
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 pm

She offered him a smile when he called her on 'hiding back here'. It wasn't quite like that, but she knew she was avoiding certain bad-tempered professors who blamed her for injuries sustained, and other people in general, so it was fairly accurate. "I'm an herbalist, but I've never heard of raskovnik. It must be something pretty obscure if the professor wants it so bad. I'll ask... but luckily I've no tail to lose." Lame, perhaps, but what was she supposed to say to a faun when confronted with one? They were supposed to be a story.

"I need something that could grow in the desert."

Aethera blinked, not exactly expecting that. Needing rosemary because you were cooking yourself dinner was somewhat different. But she didn't hesitate long. "Cacti? No, I can't say that much here would be likely to grow in the desert. The things here all have to be able to grow in this climate, and I don't know that there's a lot that happily grows in both." And then she realized her dress was still hiked up past her knees and tucked in at the waist... she blushed furiously as she yanked the skirt hem out of her belt and let the crumpled dress fall back down to brush her bare toes, covering the dirt still caked on her knees.

Preferring the faun's odd topic to her own embarrassment, she moved closer, looking at the herbs around his feet. "Is there more to it that maybe I'd be able to help with, or is this some crazy class request?"
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Valentin smirked earnestly at her joke and made an airy noise that may have been him holding in a short laugh. Sure, it was a lame jest, but he appreciated how it lightened the stress of smalltalk and questions.

He frowned and nodded disappointedly at her diagnosis. "There has to be something I can use.."

The girl's sudden movement caught his attention and he saw her hastily yanking down her skirt. It wasn't something he had noticed before since his mind had been on other things, but he felt his cheeks flare up nonetheless simply in response to her own blush. He was really made more uncomfortable by the fact that he had made her feel embarrassed, than from the actual fact of her dress being hiked up.

Running with her plan to ignore the incident, he scratched distractedly at his jaw and avoided eye contact.

"Nah, not for a class. I'm just working on something for a friend, and I need.. plants I guess. It would be better with plants." He nodded to himself and shifted restlessly on his hooves. "Do you know, maybe, if there're any other plants like that? Here? Not in the garden, I mean just.. yeah. Somewhere." He chuckled disconcertingly, the forced sound dying off into a frown again.
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:50 am

Aethera appreciated the faun's willingness to ignore her embarrassment, and so she just kept going with his topic, rather than think about how she'd made a fool of herself in front of one of the first other students she'd met here. It might be awkward later on if they had any classes together, but she hoped not. At least if she managed to be more dignified in the future (and properly dressed).

"Well, the only thing I can think of is the beach. If you want sand-friendly plants, heading down to the beach might be your best bet. I don't recall seeing anything of interest, though... it's mostly dune grass. The cliffs take up too much of the coastline for there to be any real coastal greenery that's taken hold." She considered him out of the corner of her eye, trying to be unobtrusive. "Unless you've explored more of the island? I don't know if there are other beach areas."

Feeling like she was rambling a bit, she fell silent, looking around the herbs here. Other than her small handful of samples, she hadn't really started in on collecting anything to use. A few steps from where she stood was feverfew, which she'd been hoping to find. Without regard for her dress this time (she'd die before hiking up her skirt again in the presence of the faun), she took the two steps and knelt, examining the plant. She was surprised at how healthy these herbs were, even if they were a bit crowded back here.

And then she realized she'd ignored the faun for a moment, and she looked up, hands entangled in the feverfew plant. "I'm sorry if I can't be of more help. I'm Aethera, by the way." Her blush had mostly faded, but she was unaccustomed to much social interaction with the other gender and her cheeks remained a bit pink. It might've even been considerably pretty if she didn't have a smudge of dirt across her nose and one cheekbone. Even a demure comment, made from her knees, in a dress... she couldn't get right.
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am

((if you wanna know if Rosie attends the herb garden, see the other herb garden posting. Sorry, you may continue))

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Valentin had already forgotten the mishap with her skirt. When she mention the beach, his eyes grew wider with realization and he snapped his fingers in her general direction. "Great idea! The beach, that's so smart, how come I didn't think of that??" He grinned abashedly, now recalling the tufts of small white and yellow flowers he had seen down by the dunes in several areas. He had no idea what the plants were called, but they were probably his best bet. "That would be perfect if they work, and I can make metal cacti or something... And a hammock! Do they use hammocks in the desert?" The last question was kind of muttered quietly to himself.

His ears perked forwards then, watching the girl kneel down before some other plants. He wanted to run off and gather up some of those beach plants, but it seemed rude as she offered her name, so he smiled and decided he could visit a little longer.

"Naw, you've been a huge help, I had no idea what I was looking for when I came here." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Aethera, that's nice. I'm Valentin."

The faun shifted on his hooves, feeling a little lost on what to say now, until he peered a little more closely at the plant she was leaning over now. "Hey, I recognize this plant!" He hopping forwards a bit excitedly, not having expected to know anything here, but this one he'd seen so often before. "We call that featherfew." Valentin fell into a crouch beside the girl and reached forwards to lift one of the leaves and peer at the label. "Ah, 'feverfew'. Well, it's similar. I still think it's the same plant." He pouted and didn't continue though because he couldn't for the life of him recall what the healers of his tribe had used the plant for.

"So ah.." His palms came to rest on his kneecaps and he peered sidelong at Aethera. "You helped me so.. I dunno, is there anything you need help with? ..picking? I don't know what they do but I can pick 'em." He shrugged helplessly with one shoulder and that humbled smirk returned to his face.

(( Is so late! /apologizes. And thanks for clarifying, Rosie. c: ))
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:17 pm

She smiled mostly to herself at his response to the idea, not commenting on his self-deprecation. Metal cacti? Sounds interesting... can he do that? Impressive... Since she didn't know what they did in the desert for bedroom arrangements, she didn't speak up until he said his name. "It's nice to meet you, Valentin. I hope you don't find this rude, but um... are you a faun? I thought they were just a story..." Her blush comes and goes so quickly it might almost be special lighting effects. Being a lowly human with only a few fairytales to go on, her knowledge of magic and the magical was somewhat limited, at least so far. She'd learned more about magical people (and met more, but that's not saying much) since she arrived on the island than she'd learned in eighteen years with her guardian.

Aethera was surprised when he joined her, but one surprised blink and she was over it, moving on to a friendly smile... it was hard to be anything but amiable when surrounded by her favorite subject and life's work. "I'm sure it is. 'Featherfew'... sounds like a comment on these," she speculated, stroking the fan-like leaves with the scalloped edges. "Feverfew has to do with what it's often used for," she continued, not really sure if he was interested or just being polite. "Fevers, aches and pains, that sort of thing."

Valentin's offer surprised her, but it was awfully nice of him. "Thank you, Valentin, I appreciate the offer. I'm not doing anything important though, I just want to start stocking up my herb supply again... it's no big deal." She looked around the garden thoughtfully. Most of what she wanted was here, and fresh would serve her just as well as dried, should the occasion arise. She should harvest some to dry, stock, and prepare, but being April... she certainly wasn't in any rush. "I don't know that I need to be doing this at all, actually," she murmured, not quite just to herself. "I don't know what you're doing with your desert and metal cacti..." She offered him a brief grin, testing out her amusement with him. "But I can help with the plants if you'd like." Realizing she might be intruding in a private project, she shrugged one shoulder, trying to make it look like she didn't really care either way. "It would give me something purposeful to do, but totally up to you."
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Sun May 01, 2011 5:47 pm

The deer plucked one of the feathery leaves of feverfew and twisted it distractedly between his fingers. Her question made his smile meld into an understanding grin.

"Nah I'm not offended. Where I come from, we call ourselves 'chanthahca oyate'. It means 'deer tribe' or 'deer people'. But 'faun' is fine, more people know what it means and it's easier to remember."

He turned over the leaf in his fingers, tilting his head. Aethera's reminder of what it was used for didn't really trigger any further recognition. He never got into that stuff as a fawn. He was wondering who thought to try and use this thing for healing in the first place. Did someone just wake up one day and think, hey, I wonder if this plant here will make my head stop throbbing! He glanced at his company again but decided against asking. She would probably find the question silly.

He tossed the leave aside and turned his head to offer Aethera his attention while she spoke. An amused scoff escaped him when she mentioned the cacti. "Metal cacti a bad idea then?"

He paused at her offer, thinking hard on it for a decent moment. His ears swiveled about at small dismissive noises as deer ears are wont to do, but the faun didn't seem to notice. "I don't.." He frowned a little and considered her again. "Well, it's kind of.. special. I would enjoy help finding plants, but I'm not sure I want to show anyone what I'm working on. At least until the person it's for gets to see it done. Sorry." He tilted his head apologetically, then huffed and pushed off his kneecaps to stand up again. "So if you don't want to help me anymore I totally understand!" Here he smiled again, brightly but still apologetic, and shrugged his shoulders before digging his fingers into his pockets.
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Sun May 01, 2011 6:30 pm

The young woman watched the faun's face out of the corner of her eye, wondering what was going through his head as he played with the leaf... "Metal cacti a bad idea then?"

"I didn't say that!" Aethera insisted immediately. "I just... I've never heard of someone making metal cacti. Well... I don't think I've ever known anyone who would have been able to make something like that, even if they wanted to. So..." She shrugged, hoping the excuses would slide here. She didn't want to have offended the faun with poorly timed amusement.

At least it didn't sound like she'd offended him. He was seriously considering her offer, so she hoped she could assume that much. It was actually rather sweet, his hesitation. It occurred to Aethera to wonder if this was for a female "special someone", but she didn't know Valentin well enough to know how he treated his various friends, male or female. Maybe he was just a nice guy. She rose, decision easily made for her by the faun's attitude toward this unknown friend. "I completely understand. It's not a surprise present if other people already know what it is." Her smile was gently amused, trying not to show the various thoughts that had been going through her head. "I'll help with what I can."

She dusted off her dress quickly, then straightened somewhat abruptly. "If we find something on the beach, do you know where we could get some kind of pot to transplant it in? The roots of some beach plants get pretty deep, or spread wide, the better to anchor against wind and rain dragging the dunes away..." Then she bit her lip, amused at the exposition that she was sharing at random (not quite, but still). "Sorry, shutting up now."
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Valentin's fingers tugged on an earing in a distracting and bashful way while she talked about the metal cacti like it might be something cool. He shrugged it off. It really wasn't that cool. He could picture it in his head, though--he could bend some metal plates and use small nails for the spines. Dulled, of course.. couldn't have anyone hurting themselves.

Aethera rising to her feet thankfully distracted him from his planning before he completely forgot what he was doing and ran off to make cacti. He blinked at her, and then released a breath, the look of relief easily discernible from his expression.

"Thanks." He nodded once, not sure how to thank her for understanding. He felt fortunate to have not offended her. Maybe he should say that? But his contemplation was interrupted again by the girl's abrupt movements. His restless ears flipped forwards again, and an amused grin slowly spread over his face. He waited for her to finish, chuckling amiably when she realized her rambling. He tilted his head and shifted his weight casually to one hoof. Not commenting on her lesson, the faun just shook his head to deny her apology. He wasn't bothered, only amused.

He lifted his eyebrows and winced hopefully. "Will a wheelbarrow work?"
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Aethera on Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Aethera was just as amused as Valentin at herself, but his question halted her. "Um... a wheelbarrow will work if you're going to put them back in the ground immediately. They won't survive long just in a wheelbarrow." She actually stopped to consider what she'd just said, but she didn't want to contradict herself. If you put dirt in the wheelbarrow and watered the plants, maybe they would survive in the wheelbarrow... a tiny shake of her head ended that line of thought. She wouldn't recommend planting things in a wheelbarrow for any period of time, so what she'd started with was still fair. "Otherwise you want pots to stick them in until you're ready to plant them."

((Sorry for short, should be studying... I call for The Great Hunt For Planters! ))
Aethera
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin on Thu May 05, 2011 10:29 pm

"Oh.. No, I guess i'm not ready to put them in just yet." The faun's brows creased thoughtfully and he looked momentarily disappointed. He knew so little about plants and moving them and caring for them, he didn't think to question Aethera when she said the wheelbarrow alone wouldn't work. If she said it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't.

"Well.. I know where I can find a wheelbarrow, but not any plant pots." His gaze wandered to the garden door leading into the kitchen. Pots. He frowned further and narrowed his eyes a little. Certainly they wouldn't be allowed to use kitchen pots for plants... But it was kind of the same thing, wasn't it..?

It seemed like a bother, and he began to consider that perhaps he should stop getting ahead of himself and wait until the project was nearly done before putting in the plants. But who knew when this girl would have time to help in the future. Valentin was quickly getting the impression that if he tries to collect plants unaided, he'll end up killing them.

"So.. Where do we get pots, then?"
Valentin
Retired Character
Retired Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down