The Alliance at Lillegard Castle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Disturbing Silence [Ambrose + Shae]
by Ambrose Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 am

» Plant Music [Risko and Hunter]
by Risiko Bann Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm

» Trying to fly [open]
by Cynric Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

» New Room means new Roommate (Shae and Zin)
by Shae-Lantern Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

» Happy as a flower. (Corey and Alicia)
by Corey Passionbunny Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am

» Little Song [Denskith + Richard]
by Denskith Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

» A stroll through the mountains... (Audi and Gen)
by Genivir Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 am

» Books and Boredom (Shae and Sheloe)
by Shae-Lantern Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am

» A Short Day (open)
by Risiko Bann Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:34 am

» Humble Hoodoo and Adamant Alchemist
by Natan Isaac Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:07 am

Top posting users this week
No user

Within Patience

2 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Within Patience Empty Within Patience

Post  Kale Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am

Talons clicked gently upon the floor occasionally between when one running rug ended and another began. The hall was silent otherwise, as it should be. There was hardly anyone in this part of the castle, mostly filled with empty rooms yet inhabited. She knew of only one other with a room down here, and even that only of him.

The thin framed woman cast a large shadow upon the wall opposite the windows. She was robed in her normal attire of black shorts and short green top with no back. There were just two unusual additions. The first being a soft wide shawl that draped over a feathered set of elbows and then a skin set, to be gathered in her hand at front. The second was a rather round messenger bag, weighted. It was a crude make, obviously having seen better days of rougher travel. It bumped her leg as she walked, strap slung over her shoulder, and made a dull noise from the contents muted bumping.

The windows left her company and she left the light's. Wrapping the green and silver threaded shawl tighter, she turned the corner and looked down the long hallway, seeing the door to the infirmary. It was but a short walk now, and it was not taken briskly. It was perhaps an hour or two before midnight, and he hadn't been in his office. She knew no where else to look directly. Coming to the first door on her left, she paused. Perhaps this was stupid. Then again, all of it was.

A slender, pale hand raised to knock lightly on the wood. Yes, perhaps it was stupid. But, Kale figured it was about time she returned the favor anyway.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Height : 157 cm
Weight : 2.6 kg

http://fav.me/d62hutp

Back to top Go down

Within Patience Empty Re: Within Patience

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

As all vampires, Richard quite loved winter. The sun setting that much earlier meant that he had more waking hours every night. It was his night off, and he had already returned from the mainland, cheeks still slightly flushed with fresh blood, changed into a more familiar, comfortable shirt and dark blue sweater vest, dumping the old rags that were his disguise carelessly over a chaise longue, and got the fireplace started and pleasantly crackling to fill the room with warm light. A gramophone standing in the corner of the room had been wound up and Mick Jagger's voice sung from an old, old record.

He felt lively and satisfied. Not much had outwardly changed since his lonesome trip to the mountains, but he walked with a spring to his step that wasn't just pretend like it had been for the past few months. Everything would be fine, now. He would do it. He would do everything.

Starting tomorrow, of course. Tonight was a night devoted to unwinding, taking care of himself, as he had promised himself. Perhaps some Final Fantasy would be a nice start... He only took a few steps towards the bedside table where the PSP lay when he heard knocking on the door. He froze in place and blinked a few times, wondering if he hadn't misheard. But no, he was certain he hadn't. Turning around, Richard walked back through the large bedroom to the smaller room.
As he slowly and quietly approached the door, he tried to either hear or smell who was the unexpected visitor, but his senses failed him with the music being louder than whomever was there. And it was also because of the music that he couldn't pretend he wasn't in. Curses.

He hesitated a second before opening the door just the slightest and peering outside cautiously, his eyebrows rising when he saw Kale. To say it was a surprise would be an understatement, and he wasn't sure whether it was a pleasant or an unpleasant one; he did want to see her again, but not necessarily under those circumstances... He cleared his throat.

"Good evening." His gaze flickered down to the mysterious bag, then back to her face questioningly. "How may I...?"
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Height : 183 cm
Weight : 87 kg

http://roqi.deviantart.com/art/AALC-Richard-Wallace-278528217

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am

Her hand was quickly taken from the door. She would not knock again, and if no one answered, that was that despite the fact that she could hear the music from within. Eventually, the door clicked open though she had heard no movement from inside. It was cautious in opening, and Kale couldn't help but smirk slightly as Richard so warily looked around to view the unexpected. She tried to kill it though, and crossed her arms to grip the shawl snugly at the opposite bicep. It was a slightly insecure gesture.

"Good evening, Monsieur Wallace." She spoke, tone as if quoting. "I was hoping to steal away some of your precious time." She glanced to the side, voice returning to her own thoughts. "Though I do not wish to interrupt anything, nor encumber your night." She gaze slide back to him, slightly amused. "I bring a peace offering."
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 am

Richard couldn't help a small, reluctantly amused smile at her using his words, but it faded quickly when she looked off to the side. Subconsciously, he shifted slightly as to better block her view of the room behind him. He... didn't really want her there... but he realized that if he turned her away now, something important would be lost. Maybe they could go elsewhere to talk... but he was so looking forward to spending time in his warm and cozy quarters... Fine, then. It had taken him a second to decide, and then he took a step back, bowing slightly and opening the door wider.

"I would have been a fool to refuse." he said, smiling politely, then turned around. The first, smaller room, was quite obviously mostly used for storage, several closets and cabinets lining the wall, as well as a few loosely scattered items, including a rolled-up carpet, a nightgown, a bucket and a few shoes. An enormous mirror hung upon the wall, and in a corner, an assembled plate mail stood with the helmet laying on the floor nearby. Richard shifted a cardboard box out of the way with his foot as he walked towards the other door.
"I don't spend much time here." he mumbled in explanation.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm

She was, actually, tempted to simply leave. She didn't make room calls...but, well, things needed to be discussed. Part of her, though, really did not want to enter. She shoved this part of her to the back of her mind as Richard eventually turned and left the way open for her. Hesitating only just, Kale stepped forward to enter the room, wings adjusting so they did not bump the door-trim gracelessly. When she was through, though, her right wing did extend gently to push the door closed behind her while she scanned.

Taking in the state of the room, and Richard's comment about it, she merely shrugged.

"Understandable. But, I like it. Practical." It was absently said as she glanced around, trying not to seem too curious. It was eventually the plate mail that caught her eye and she smiled, studying it, as she followed Richard. "You keep interesting items company."
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Richard spared only a glance over his shoulder at her comment. "Ah, yes. I suppose..." he said, trailing off into a chuckle. She hadn't really seen anything yet...

It felt odd, certainly, to invite her into his bedroom, but he couldn't exactly entertain her in the storage room, so on he went through the door to the bigger chamber. Perhaps he should have let her in first, but he hurried with the knowledge that his quarters were even less prepared for visitors than hers were; he would need to arrange someplace for them to sit. Besides, he really wasn't up to sticking to manners on his day off.
"Please, make yourself at home, this will be but a moment." he said, giving Kale an apologetic glance, then moved on to lift a round oaken table all-too-easily and walking deeper into the room. "And watch your feet." he added, taking a step over what seemed to be miniature train tracks, which were running over a sizable portion of the floor. Next to the canopy bed, they ended, and there stood a model train with one compartment, each about a foot long.

He kinda wished he had had the time to hide it.

The placement of furniture in the bedroom had a slightly more thought-out feeling to it. The bed, covers showing some signs of use, was stood along the shortest wall, next to the window overseeing the courtyard. Opposite it was a filled bookshelf and a cabinet full of curios and decorative china. Wherever the walls weren't obscured by furniture, they were filled with paintings and pictures. A thick Indian carpet muffled Richard's steps as he carried a plush armchair to place it next to the table, now standing a comfortable distance from the fireplace. The only other seat he had was a wicker rocking chair, which really felt silly right now. Above the hearth hung two crossed swords, and on the floor in front of it laid a tiger skin rug, unfortunately missing the head and one leg. In fact, on closer examination, many items showed signs of being damaged, by time or mishandling; but all it did was make the room seem cozier and more homely, as if both they and Richard had been in the castle for much longer than a year, through thick and thin.

He stood somewhat uncertainly next to the table as he looked to Kale again, waiting for her to choose a seat first. It felt very odd, indeed, to see her out of all people in a place he'd never really intended for anybody to see.
"So, can I offer you a drink?" Richard cleared his throat, glancing towards the impressive liquor cabinet to the left of the door. "I have... everything, really."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 pm

For a being so strict about territories, she could not shake the feeling that this was not hers. Still, it was not as grating as others'. Something about it was...okay. The woman hesitated at the doorway to the bedroom, a single eyebrow raising. As she looked around, it seemed at though she hadn't even heard Richard if not for the small nod of her head. It was...so unlike her own accommodations. It felt warm and inviting, strangely. Well lived in for someone who said they weren't here often.

A nearly warm smile came over her face. Yes, she rather liked it here, despite it not being hers. Her wings shifted, carefully, shuffling feathers. Rather content indeed. As Richard finished, Kale looked at the new set up, observing him standing there, and laughed lightly. Genuinely happy, her look was soft for once.

"Richard, you needn't wait on me. But, a glass might be nice. Would you pour us both one of whatever you would enjoy most? Any flavor, any strength." One of her shoulders bounced and she walked across the room, bouncing lightly over any obstacles just like a bird might. Kale choose the wicker rocking chair, simply because she would rather see Richard in the plush armchair.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 am

The smile gave him some hope, and he returned it reflexively. This wasn't ideal, as honestly it should have been him that sought to meet her, rather than the other way around, but perhaps he could turn the situation to his favor yet. He took a small bow in agreement to her request, then made his way back to the cabinet.

Whatever he would enjoy most... Richard hummed, trailing a fingertip along the row of bottles neatly arranged on the shelf. He paused for a moment over advocaat, but in the end, chose the milky white and very sweet coconut liqueur. He set the bottle along with two tall, gold-rimmed liqueur glasses on a small porcelain tray, closed the cabinet and walked back carefully to join his guest. As he put the tray down on the table and opened the bottle, his gaze flickered over her. "I do apologize, but... are you sure you wouldn't prefer the other chair?" He filled both glasses, then approached Kale, offering her hers off the tray as he gave her a concerned look. "I'd hate it if you got that lovely scarf stained because of my silly, unstable seating."

It was all too easy to slip into the familiar role of a gracious host and forget who exactly was he entertaining, why, and what was at stake.

((The record playing, if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qsrUZelaq4&list=PL36A109E92F3A7775 ))
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 am

She was standing beside the wicker chair, hand lightly draped across the oak table, looking down at it, just thinking. Or not thinking, really. It was an odd case of thoughtful thoughtlessness, she found. Ebony eye eventually drifted over to the man's back as he perused the alcohol.

A small frown pulled at her lips, though not one from displeasure. She studied the frame in dark blue sweater vest, scientific imagination providing muscle structure. What such a man was this? There must be something she was missing, somewhere within him. There was a reason. She found there was always a reason for everything, just not always a good one. But this, this was to be one extremely delicate operation.

When he turned around, she made no cover for the fact she had been staring, though her lips did turn up again slightly. Kale accepted her glass gently.

"Thank you." She then, without casting a glance at the chair, opened her mouth to speak. The first thing out would have been a sly 'cloth can be removed', but she quickly edited. "The same could be said for your fine dress as well." The harpy raised an eyebrow, how silly he thought she might spill the drink. Though, she supposed even she were more likely than him with all his fine grace. "I like the oddity in the arrangements. It is comfortingly familiar. And I shall take whichever seat you would see me in."

Still framed with a small smile, she gestured to the seats with a small step back.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am

Richard quirked a brow slightly. "Ah, thank you, but you needn't be concerned. Those are merely home clothes, I don't much care for them." He pulled at the edge of the vest with one hand, giving her a lopsided smile. "You may even stab me now, if it should please you." He figured it was about time to gently bring up how their last meeting one-on-one had ended. It was bound to come up eventually, and now at least he could follow it with a brief, light laugh to signify that he held no ill will towards her for it. If Kale was willing to forgive, then all was well.
"Well, have your original choice, then." Delicately setting one of the glasses on the table in front of the rocking chair, he placed the tray in the middle of it and took the other glass with him as he walked towards the armchair.

He seated himself down comfortably, gaze straying briefly towards the bag again. How curious... it seemed to be rather full. Peace offering... He gave Kale a slight smile and a somewhat expectant look, waiting for her to move on to whatever subject she desired first.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Well, there went that. Kale's expression didn't change from the moment he tugged on his vest, past the time the glass was set on the table before her chair, and it was only when he sat in his chair that the corner of her lips quirked up. Silently, the bag was placed beside her chair, finding in it the support to stay sitting upright. She took her seat as well, smoothing her tail like a skirt and wings easily fitting to the sides over the wicker arms. Her light weight tipped the chair forward but did not upset it terribly. Delicately she crossed her legs and leaned forward on the table to place her chin on the backs of bridged fingers with some importance, staring at Richard with some intensity. So, it was to be this topic first then. Good.

"Stab you...Ha. You would let me? Mais Monsieur, do not tempt me for I may still think you deserve it." Her expression, though pleasant, was just chilly enough to answer that yes, she did still feel he deserved it. "Actually," She spoke after a pause, somewhat more lighthearted, and leaned back into the rocking chair. "Do you care to offer an explanation for that event? I find it is a fault with most women that, when rejected, they tend to wonder 'why' and instantly start questioning the possible inferiority of their own attractiveness." The harpy reached forward to claim her given glass before settling back again. "I can handle any reason, but not the wondering."

Well, she never was one for beating around the bush. That, and she always did like to see how people reacted when questioned so frontally.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Richard's slight, pleased smile remained in place as he watched her take her seat, and he returned her gaze unflinchingly. She was ever so elegant. His expression only turned more serious when she spoke. With a casual shrug, he took the first sip of the sweet drink. "I may be inclined to agree." he said quietly over the rim of the glass. Well, whether for what he had done, what he was doing, or what he was going to do, he did deserve to get stabbed. It was a rather constant thing, it seemed. It didn't really matter.

The other question was one that required more thought, and he combed his fingers through his hair as he shook his head slightly. How to answer that... The honest truth would be best, he supposed, if sparingly dosed and worded with utmost care.
"I do apologize I had not made it clear enough that it was not any lack on your part that was the reason..." He glanced upwards with amusement in his eyes. "Spotting a nonexistent mistletoe was insufficient, I suppose." He cleared his throat quickly, trying to regain seriousness, and dropped his gaze to meet Kale's. His lips parted, and after just a split second of hesitant silence he forced words out.

"I am afraid of commitment." he said, his tone neutral, almost emotionless. "While I do realize your offer was hardly a marriage proposal, it would lead to forming a bond of one sort or another, which is something I prefer to avoid." His look turned somewhat misty as he looked upon her. "And yes, I do know already that I would let myself get attached, and I cannot allow that. I don't want to."

Richard took another tiny sip, then waved his free hand in a dismissive, light gesture, as if it were no big deal at all.
"So, yes, there you have it. Make of it what you will."

For all of his attempted casualness, once he was done, he sank his gaze in the fireplace, determined not to look at Kale for as long as he thought possible.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Besides a slight smirk at his first, small, comment, Kale listened with respectful and silent attention. She was neutral, casual, just gathering data to be analyzed. She was not entirely surprised that she held no opinion to his commitment issues, they were his own and she just accepted it as what was. It was understandable to want no ties. She had near none herself.

He finished, and she still just watched a moment. Eventually, her voice was clear in the silence amid the cracking fire.

"Thank you." That was first. Another pause. It was genuine, truly, as she was grateful to have an answer. "And okay." Her expression was light, accepting. It turned thoughtful, and she let the silence resume, let Richard keep his gaze to himself without objection. She looked down to the milky alcohol and twirled it in the glass before taking a very small, testing sip. It was sweet, not usually what she would drink, but not unpleasant. Her second sip was more confident. The harpy let it sit on her tongue before speaking again.

"Why did you kiss me when you came to visit me in my room?" She didn't look up.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 am

A small, half-smile passed through his face at the thanks, but he remained watching the dancing flames, though it was clear he was seeing through them and past the back of the fireplace.

When the question was asked, he turned to look at her for a moment. How like Kale to want to ruin the strange poetry of that night with her inquiries. Sure, she wasn't attacking him, she just wanted to understand, and rightfully so. Still, it made him feel defensive, if not of his choices, then of his memories which he wanted to preserve. Dissecting things tended to kill them.

Richard brought up his hand to rub his eyes tiredly. "Because I had wanted to. Spur of the moment. I wasn't thinking." He let his arm drop to his lap and his gaze was drawn towards the fire again. "I am now realizing that I shouldn't have succumbed to that need. I never meant to lead you on."

He didn't understand her. He thought that he did, but it seemed that it had been only his wishful thinking. Perhaps only now he was beginning to, and while it was satisfying, it was also sad in a way to let go of his delusions. Still. Letting go was something he was well-trained in, he supposed.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Her eyebrow raised, slightly surprised.

"Well, commendable, surely. Do not regret doing what you wanted. But it seems we are all of misunderstandings. For all my playfulness, I did not mean to establish a romantic relationship with you." Kale paused, rocking the chair just a bit. "Well, I mean, I wasn't opposed to it...but I was seeking your company." The chair stopped as she strengthened the muscles in her legs against the floor. Glancing towards the wall, she continued smoothly. "I am stuck here, Richard, simply waiting. I have no where else to go. I am bored, and you are entertaining." She ended with a sigh and a shrug, but a smile as well, turning her gaze back to him. "There is no harm done, and none that you can give me. Do what you want, when you want. This is a temporary situation any way, we are not going to be on this island forever."

She felt it best to put it that way. Best to hint that bond formed or no, things would change when they were off the island in the future. And when that time came, everyone would have to decide what they were going to do, and it may be possible that everything would go up in the air. Kale raised her glass to her lips to take comfort in the sweetness, waiting for him to decide upon something. Waiting, it seemed she was forever waiting. She hated waiting, and just wanted to go, but patience...patience. She was never so far from herself as she was here on this island. So unmotivated, so placid...

Perhaps, it was time to devote herself...
However it turned out tonight, Kale would accept his decision, no matter how flippant. Worst case, she was back where she was before him came at all.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 pm

As he listened on, he felt a familiar sort of cold, bitter anger flaring up within him, much like at the Ball. 'Misunderstandings' didn't even begin to cover it, it seemed, and the way she talked, oh-so-kindly and open-minded, sounded patronizing to his ears. He couldn't give in to it, though; he had to keep his mind clear. With a silent sigh, Richard placed the tiny glass on the armrest and intertwined his fingers in front of his mouth, shutting his eyes to think in peace.

So Kale asked for no commitment and offered none in return... but what she didn't understand was that he couldn't do that. He couldn't just do whatever with no long-term plan, he couldn't let things unfold however they wanted to, not thinking of the consequences. The history of his stay at the Academy had proven that well enough. He had to know what he was doing and where the events were leading, he had to be prepared for every possibility; and the fact that they wouldn't be staying on the Island forever only gave him more to keep in mind.

But still.

Really, the question was not whether he wanted it, as he knew the answer to that already. The question was whether it was worth it. And as hard as it was not to change his opinion based on what predictions he made about the future at any given moment, he was growing weary of his own indecisiveness. It was about time to make a choice and commit to it.

It was thin ice to tread. But it was either that, or leaving the school and going back to his steady, normal, easy and entirely boring existence amongst humans. But he could always do that later. And he was immortal, no? He couldn't really get hurt. He still had faith in that, if nothing else.

Finally, he opened his eyes, letting his hands drop to his lap, and lifted his gaze to meet hers. "Well... fine, then." He gave her a small, reluctant half-smile. "I doubt I ever really had the power to refuse."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 am

When her host closed his eyes, folded in thought, she left him undisturbed. Instead, the harpy turned her attention to the room, letting her gaze roam rather empty on the collected items. She kept her indifferent look on anything but the figure across from her.

It felt like a long time before the silence was again broken, but she was determined to be nonchalant. The meniscus level in her drink dipped gradually. Sometime in the midst, her smile had fallen to a simple non-expressive expression. When he finally did move, ebony instinctively redirected to him. The answer was, honestly in a literal sense, very vague. All she could reasonably claim his agreement to, was to do what he wanted, when he wanted. That still left question as to what the man actually wanted. Kale had long since decided she would not push that, that the vampire could keep his desires to himself and she would find out by his actions when he deemed appropriate.

Her gaze flickered over his features quickly and she gave a small smile that was little more than a quirk of the lips, before it was quickly diverted away again. Her look trailed down to the bag at her chair's side and back up. Eventually, she rocked the chair forward, swooping down to grasp it by the strap. In a fluid motion, she pulled it up to hang above the table. The way in which she waited for its momentum to halt before gently lowering it to the surface told of some delicacy for the contents within. Leaning forward, she push the bag in silent offering across the oak towards Richard.

This was really the only other thing she was here for, and best to get it over with before she changed her mind. Rocking back, she settled in a way that was completely closed to interaction, attention away and seemingly otherwise engaged in the pressing matter of absolutely anything else.

Just under the flap of the bag's main, unclasped compartment, was what appeared to be hay. The bag actually seemed to be filled with the dry straw. On top, was a piece of heavy ivory paper, folded in to thirds in the standard style of a letter. In black ink, on the blank back side opposite the folds, was a single word written in neat vertical script: Richard.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

The decision finally behind him, he wanted to get up and do something, anything, right away, but felt it appropriate to wait for Kale to give a response. When none came, save for that small smile, he was slightly surprised, but soon it was cleared up by her reaching for the bag. Well. So the time came for the 'peace offering'.

Richard watched her careful handling of her baggage with curiosity he wasn't bothering to hide. It was intriguing; whatever could be so fragile? His gaze flickered between the gift and its giver, but it seemed that she wasn't about to give any explanation, so he shifted towards the edge of his seat and slowly reached towards the bag. Pushing back the top, open flap, he couldn't help but steal another glance at the harpy before peering inside. From his seated position it proved impossible, so he stood up, raising an eyebrow slightly when he saw the contents. He brushed the tips of his fingers across the hay, but nothing was immediately visible underneath it. The contents had to be really delicate to be packaged in such a way... or, perhaps the gift was just that, Kale's snarky way of showing what she really thought of him: a dirty old bag filled with dried grass. At that point, curiosity was killing him, but he was determined to take his time and ride it out. Chancing another look at her, he reached for the paper to examine it first, carefully unfolding it to see whether there was a message there or if it was just a fancy name-tag.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Honestly, she wished he would just open the stupid thing and stop looking at her. She was catching his glances out of the corner of her eye, so she turned her head, actively putting him in her blind spot. Though, her sight limited in this way, she could do nothing for her hearing. She heard the hay shift, and the sound of fingertips on paper.

Ugh, she loathed giving gifts. This particular sort was just another step worse.

Fidgety, and unable to stay seated any longer, the harpy rose from the rocking chair swiftly, leaving it to do as its namesake stated it was opt to do. Kale walked over to near the fireplace, standing before it to feel its strength and heat. It was pleasant, the way its presence charged the air.

Upon the inside panels of the folded paper was more neatly scripted ink. It read as:

Patience. Treat it as you will. It does take some effort to break, but not an extraordinary amount. It will brave most temperatures unscathed as long as it remains in tact. When - when you rotate it - it stops shifting its weight and feels solid in about 25-50 years, you can break it open but it would be wise to do so with care. If you have been gentle, it will be gentle, if harsh, it will be harsh. That's our general practice, and it becomes a reflection of yourself in theory, but nothing is guaranteed. It will be worth its while though, of that I am certain. It always is. If nothing else, in the right circles, it will grant you quite a sum of money.
Try not to let people know you have this, and do not tell them from whom you have received it.

Before you ask: Yes, it's mine.
Questions?

Nestled some distance beneath the hay was a rather nicely sized slightly elongated spherical object of a very pale off-white, nearly the color of the underside of Kale's wings. Its outside was smooth, slightly porous, and seemingly sturdily delicate. It was large enough that it would have to be picked up with two hands, and actually rather light.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 am

Richard blinked with surprise when she seemingly couldn't stand the wait anymore in his presence. What sort of a gift could be this hard to give, he had no idea, so he just turned his gaze to read the note.

He read it once. And twice. And three times. Every time, it sounded just as nonsensical, just some random words flippantly pulled into meaningless sentences. With brow furrowed, he put the letter aside on the table. After a brief pause, his mind still failing to provide him with any sort of an explanation, however patchy, he decided to finally see 'it' for himself. Carefully as to not scatter any, he started pushing the hay to the side of the bag, not wanting to take it out for it to not get on his carpet. It was... something round and whitish... china?

Oh God.

Interestingly, the first, detached thought in his mind was that this was proof Kale was indeed a bird, and not just a mammal with some bird features. After that came nothing for a while, just a long, odd silence as he stared at the bag's contents, hand frozen in midair.

And then, just like that, a conclusion appeared. She was delusional.

Richard lifted his gaze to look at the harpy with a slight, worried frown as he took his hand away. "Well, that is..." He took a second to think of an appropriate word. "...cute, but I cannot accept it. I am sorry that I gave you the impression that I would be the right person to entrust with-- this--" His voice faltered as he glanced to the uncovered bit of white, and whether it was with amazement or with disgust, he wasn't sure. Probably both. "--but I really am not. I travel a lot. I cannot haul with me something so fragile... never mind its... contents."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

The silence was not...entirely unexpected. Shock was actually something that was probably a healthy reaction. She did not turn around when Richard spoke, but visibly stilled.

Wait...what?

After a moment of hesitation, Kale turned around to face Richard with something of a perplexed expression. Contents...Oh! Her smile broke out to reveal realization.

"Oh, Richard. It has no 'contents'. It will not hatch. Treating it is just a harpy tradition, but you could very well leave it somewhere at your leisure for near a thousand years and it will look just the same until you break it open." She shrugged. "I could also keep it for you, but I thought I might give you the option of sharing in our elusive culture."

Kale paused, and her smile slipped into a playful smirk as she shifted her weight.

"You've not done your part if you want one that shall actually hatch for you. Or do we have to go over a certain biology talk?"
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:06 pm

With a lunatic, one could never really know what to expect, so Richard tried to stay ready for every possibility, watching her turn around with some nervous anticipation. And then, she smiled...

The relief that washed over him was so immense, he felt like slumping back onto the seat, keeping his suddenly weak knees locked only due to the glass still dangerously balanced on the armrest. Oh Jesus.

So shaken he was, he wasn't able to give any response to her remark other than a weak laugh. The talk. Hah. Yes... As tempting as it was to change to that subject, he wasn't ready to move on from the egg just yet. Leaning on the surface of the table with one hand, he reached to delicately tap a fingernail against the surface of the gift, looking at it with interest now not hindered with worry... though still, for some reason, he didn't entirely trust her.

"So... I have to ask, what's supposed to happen then?" He chanced a small, mildly amused smile. "Does the yolk turn into gold given enough time...?"
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

And her smile just grew wider, watching him. In fact, it seemed to take on a perverse pleasure. She had to admit, she loved to catch this man in particular off guard, and each time she succeeded was a small victory all in its own way.

When tapped, the egg sounded thickly hollow, much like an egg would. But otherwise, it did quite a lot of nothing, as an egg was also like to do. Kale watched at action before looking back up to Richards face an raising an eyebrow at his question.

"Well, yes." The word was said on a bit of laughter. "Something like that, anyway. Crystalize, more like. It's a tale, for harpies at least of my kind, that the eggs are determined to be something, no matter what. The stubbornness of our race, be it perhaps." Kale waved her free hand in the air. She thought their myths silly, but entertaining nonetheless. "There is a more scientific explanation, but perhaps I shouldn't bore you. Every egg is different, and no two are ever the same. It may not be gold, it may prefer to be something else entirely: ruby, jade, sapphire. It may take a shape if you're particularly either lucky or talented."
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

As she explained, his perplexed gaze kept wandering between her and the egg. It was interesting, and disturbing almost, to realize with such sudden clarity that it was not just a human with some feathery bits tacked on, but a real creature of legend that stood before him. Well, a vampire was one as well, he supposed, but he was just a human with some bits tacked on.

"So corundum, or..." he whispered, more to himself than to her, trailing off into a thoughtful hum as he stared at the gift. It sounded so improbable, such a fairy tale; Richard couldn't believe that he found himself believing it. Perhaps he just wanted to.

Regardless, he would candle the egg later. Just in case.

Richard bowed his head in genuine graciousness. "That is an outstanding gift. Thank you." Gently, he brushed the hay off the top of the egg and clasped it carefully with both hands to take it out of the bag, both to get a better look at it and perhaps place it in a container more worthy than that. He chuckled quietly. "Now I feel like giving you just an old tool I simply had no more use for myself is insignificant in comparison."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kale Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 pm

She fell silent and just watched the man. The woman had contemplated it being too personal a gift, and then perhaps too impersonal. Perhaps it were too odd, some may find it disgusting, some remarkable, and it was nearly impossible to tell which Richard was.

The egg was actually crystalized protein when solidified in many years time, but the material in the egg was adaptive and thick enough that it seemed to harden into something much like corundum, so she did not correct him. It didn't seem as if he were asking directly anyway. Ebony trailed over the familiar egg again as it was lifted.

"Quite the contrary. It's all about perspective. For example, I would be quite concerned if you had gifted me an egg you had laid. The decorated letter opener was very you, and I appreciate it very much. More than you know." It was rare she got gifts at all and it was not often she had the luxury to own items such as a dull blade for the sole purpose of opening letters. Such a funny idea, it puzzled her slightly in a strangely amusing fashion whenever she looked upon it now.

Her wings shuffled lightly, whispering as they brushed against each other. Kale found herself oddly pleased that the egg was being accepted after all. And, also that she had decid to stay for the giving of it rather than just leaving the bag on the chair when she made to quit the room after their meeting. Looking at his first reaction, it may not have gone over the best. Her lips quirked up slightly.
Kale
Kale
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next